In celebration of Labor Day, we turn to God’s word and meditate on the scriptures that reveal God’s perspective on labor. We reflect on what the Word says about God’s character, about us, and the difference it makes when we apply His truth to our lives.
- Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. ~ Deuteronomy 15:10
- Do not take advantage of a hired worker who is poor and needy, whether that worker is a fellow Israelite or a foreigner residing in one of your towns. ~ Deuteronomy 24:14
- May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us-yes, establish the work of our hands. -Psalm 90:17
- You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours. ~ Psalm 128:2
- Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense. ~ Proverbs 12:11
- All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. ~ Proverbs 14:23
- One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys. ~ Proverbs 18:9
- So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them? ~Ecclasiastes 3:22
- Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9
- Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand. ~ Isaiah 64:8
- Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval. ~ John 6:27
- In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ~ Acts 20:35
- We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; ~I Corinthians 4:12
- Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. ~ I Corinthians 15:58
- Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, ~ Colossians 3:23
- …and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, ~ I Thessalonians 4:11
- For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” ~ 2 Thessalonians 3:10
- God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. ~ Hebrews 6:10
- That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe. ~ Timothy 4:10
All scriptures are from the New International Version (NIV) Bible translation.
We give thanks to God for our country and all those who have worked hard to make it great and free.